01. Installation manual
BlissRADIUS installation manual
Installation manual is the first thing you should read. It is aimed to sys admins and informs about program requirements, installation procedure and what to do if procedure fails.
System requirements for Windows and Linux
- Windows or Linux OS
- minimum 256 MB of RAM
- minimum 1GHz+ multicore CPU
- better quality data storage (HD)
- better quality network interface card
- virtual OS environment not recommended because of slight increase of risk of data corruption in case of unexpected shutdowns (power failures)
- Windows requirements
- 32 or 64 bit Microsoft Windows(R) (XP or newer)
- common choices are XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, 7, 2012, 8 etc.
- Linux requirements
- any modern Linux distribution
- Yum Package Manager or Advanced Packaging Tool
apt-geton path) so installer can download additional libraries or you will have to manually install some packages
- common choices are CentOS, RedHat, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu etc.
PostgreSQL 9.1 is part of installer, so there is no need for separate installation. It runs on port 9000 so it will not interfere with standard PostgreSQL server port.
Choice of operating system
Both Linux and Windows systems work equally reliable with BlissRADIUS. Ease of maintenance is most important so select OS you are more familiar with.
Installation procedure steps
- Download installer from this website.
It is provided as
.exefile for Windows and
.shshell installation script for Linux.
- Run it by double clicking it on Windows or
typing shell command
sh blissradius-X.Y.Z.shon Linux. where X.Y.Z is version downloaded.
- Follow instructions during installation untill installer is finished.
- Open web browser from same computer and go to URL
http://localhost:8800. Login to admin portal with username
admin. If you are accessing installation on remote computer, replace
localhostwith servers address.
How to configure program to run on computer start
BlissRADIUS is registered as automatic service on Windows by default, so each time you turn on computer it will start without your intervention.
On Linux you must add start command to your system specific boot up script,
/etc/rc.local. Append following line:
Don't forget to remove
exit 0 line if it is mentioned in script.
Troubleshooting in case of install failure
Common reasons for failure are:
- Antivirus or some other form of protection like SELinux is preventing installer to do its job.
- There is firewall blocking access to admin portal at port 8800.
- If you are installing on remote computer, then there is problem with NAT or firewall configuration that makes remote computer unreachable from where you are.
- There is already webservice, PostgreSQL or other process listening on TCP port 8800, 8801 or 9000.
You can try this to fix the problem:
- Open command prompt or console and type in
C:\BlissRADIUS\bin\bliss_ctl.exe statuson Windows or
/blissradius/bin/bliss_ctl statuson Linux to get BlissRADIUS service status. These are default installation paths.
- If file or whole folder is missing, then installer didn't manage to run correctly at all. It is most likely antivirus or privilege problem. Try reinstalling.
- Is database and bliss process running? If so, then it is probably a firewall or network issue that prevent you to log in to admin portal.
- If only one of them is running, then you probably have some other program already using ports 8800, 8801 or 9000.
- If service is not running, then try starting it manually by typing in
C:\BlissRADIUS\bin\bliss_ctl.exe starton Windows or
/blissradius/bin/bliss_ctl starton Linux.
- What is programs output?
If service complains and fails to start then check error log for more information.
Default locations are
C:\BlissRADIUS\data\stderr.logfor Windows and
- What is programs output? If service complains and fails to start then check error log for more information. Default locations are
- If you can't make it work by yourself, contact us and we will help you in no time. Don't forget to provide us with error log and program output you got.
Copyright © 2014 - 2018 LightBulb Software™ All Rights Reserved.
- BlissRADIUS Embedded™ 1.6 is out with incremental improvements and new usability features.
- BlissRADIUS Embedded™ 1.5 is released with new proxy features and advanced caching for better resilience.
- BlissRADIUS Embedded™ 1.4 maintenance release is out! No significant changes, lot of small fixes. And we finally updated documentation on custom integration.
- BlissRADIUS Embedded™ 1.3 is released. It is incremental release with more fixes and tweaks than new features.
- BlissRADIUS Embedded™ 1.2 is out! It brings many performance and stability enhancements.
- BlissRADIUS Embedded™ 1.0 is out! This is important milestone that marks more than a year of successful production use. 1.0 is backward compatible with 0.x and brings incremental improvements and bug fixes.
- BlissRADIUS Embedded™ 0.9 brings integration with Blesta billing. There is also a new "local" standalone mode to run program without third-party billing. Manual has been updated accordingly.